There are plenty of styles of drawing in pencil, but Anime style is definitely unique with its specifically drawn characters. These characters stand out for their distinct faces and eyes, elongated body proportions to describe more dynamic heroes. But the eyes are for certain among the most difficult-to-draw features of anime characters. Why? The answer is simple; eyes are considered to be one of the most important parts of the face to convey emotions as well as eyes are that what makes each person recognizable and distinct. Hence it appears that it is very important to draw them with different expressions from the front view correctly. This step-by-step tutorial makes it super-easy!
What You Need:
- A graphite pencil for drawing
- A quality eraser
- A ruler
- Color markers (optionally)
- Our Instructions
Learning to Draw Eyes in Anime Style
1. Let’s begin with the most basic anime eyes – female ones. One distinct feature of such eyes is that they are commonly much oversized – wider and bigger – than real eyes. So first of all, draw a simple layout sketch of the location of the eyes.
Useful tip: Use a ruler for this step.
Draw two parallel lines and two perpendicular lines with a pencil and a ruler as shown in our drawing. The future female eyes will be drawn within the boundaries of this sketch.
2. Usually eyes in Anime style are drawn wide-opened. So you should draw two ovals slightly compressed from the bottom and top. Try to slant them slightly, as shown in our example. For beginners, it is not easy matter to draw such eyes without the initial line sketch – that’s why we suggested using a ruler. In other case, you’d be risking failing exact proportions.
3. Remove extra lines of the initial sketch from your drawing. Add lashes to your eyes. Don’t forget to be creative – these lashes may be longer or shorter, drawn as a series of spikes. However, keep the correct proportions, as it may be tricky to make global changes later.
4. Make eyes sparkle and Kawaii. This can be the most difficult stage of our tutorial. The iris features different shades within it, hence, draw a small circle to form the pupil, then add details in shading. You should not darken the whole pupil because it needs to have both highlights and shadows to make the eyes sparkle.
5. The last step is to add the contours of the main face. Add some color to the eyes with green or blue markers, or simply leave them black. Add two long curved lines to make eye-brows, as well as hair. Draw a small triangular – it will be served as a nose. Add mouth – for this, try to make lips slightly diminished; it is another distinct feature of anime style faces.
6. Your drawing is now complete. Now you see how easy it can be!