Snowflakes are a feast to the eyes when ice crystals frozen in a never-ending variety of magnificent shapes, shaped specifically in an inimitable manner. But have you wondered how to draw such a beautiful snowflake? Here is a super-easy step by step drawing tutorial that helps you deal with it effortlessly. This tutorial has several steps and is ideal for beginners. So let’s start our work!
What You Need:
- Graphite or blue-coloured pencil
- Our Instructions
Learning to Draw a Picturesque Snowflake
It only seems complicated, trust me! Every snowflake is definitely unique, and no two snowflakes are alike. However, all of them follow the basic rules of fractal geometry featuring a hexagonal structure – that’s why we should use a ruler to draw a snowflake to the maximum extent feasible. So there are plenty of geometrical combinations you can use to create your specific snowflake.
1. Let’s start from the snowflake’s skeleton. Every snowflake has usually six sides – so you should draw a vertical line, then mark its center and cross the center with two lines in order to get an X-shaped image. Use a ruler to make lines straight.
Just imagine that you have to cut a pizza into six equal parts – it always works.
Draw a small circle in the middle around the center’s dot – it helps us to build a composition.
2. Create the main body of the snowflake: cross each line with a dot and draw a hexagon. Then draw V-shapes on each line from each corner to the corner across from it around all the shape. Duplicate the corners with V-shapes on both sides of the lines higher.
3. Add the ‘arms’ now and keep in mind they must be symmetrical so the snowflake looks realistic. The first, lower arms of the crystal should be subtly narrowed to the centre while the upper arms should be top-sharpened – try draw them looking like swords. The basic construction is already done.
4. Now use your creativity and build your own formation adding some volume to it with different patterns. Pay attention that your pattern must be symmetrical on all sides. You may create either simple or complex geometrical shapes, or apply some shading with a blue-colored pencil.
5. Erase the center extra guide lines so that your drawing looks like the sample. Hope you were successful in drawing and your snowflake turned out!
You did it! Enjoy the result! How do you like it?
We hope you like this tutorial and found it pretty useful. If you have any suggestions or questions let us know in the comment section below.